Samstag, 19. April 2014

Hygiene Coma

I don't really enjoy bathing very much. It's boring, so sometimes I just fall asleep. Reading in there isn't fun, because I'd have to keep my hands dry. When I do take a bath, I usually keep the water as hot as I can bear, so wanking isn't really an option, either. I'm very hairy. That shit gets stuck everywhere and is a huge pain to brush out. Don't try it.

And since I can't really do very much besides soak, watch my balls float around and maybe wash my hair and stuff, I'm usually done very quickly. And then I can't get myself to get out. Ever had one of those days? You're just sitting in the tub, feeling that you can no longer adapt to the world, which waits outside the bath. It's dry there and drafty and you'll just get dirty again. No! This is my life now!

The main reason I've gone in there in the first place wasn't even to get clean. I had to pass the time, I've already caught up on Vikings and Game of Thrones and there's no food in the house, so bathing seemed like a good idea. Because the TESO servers were down again. Emergency maintenance. Torches were lit, pitchforks were swung. It's the same thing with every new MMORPG. Ever.

Yes, I've done a certain amount of raging against TESO, myself, and I'm not feeling guilty. If I can't even fucking play for an entire week, then get my account stolen and tech support completely ignores me for yet another week, then yes, I get a bit pissed off. The game is super expensive, they justified their monthly fees with the promise of "quality" and their support crew is about as shit as it possibly can be.
My new password is 24 characters long, I've re-acquired most of the shit that had been stolen over the past week or so through excessive farming and my progress is no longer blocked, so there's that. I'm still annoyed at all this nonsense, particularly since I've lost a whole lot of paid game time, but at some point you pack your shit and move on or you get over it and stay. So there is that.

What I don't understand is people, who completely lose their shit over 2-3 hours of emergency maintenance and then make the craziest comparisons. "I have never seen anything like this before. SWTOR had a much better start." You'd think they're being sarcastic, but they actually seem to believe their own bullshit. Yeah, having to queue up for 3+ hours every fucking day to log on to SWTOR the first two weeks after launch was SO MUCH BETTER than 2 hour emergency maintenance on TESO twice or three times a week.
Of course Zenimax could calm them down a bit by simply giving everybody an extra day of subscription time here and there. The WoW servers went down all the damn time when the game was new, so whenever that happened - BAM! Free game time for everyone.

Meanwhile, an exploit turned up, which allowed people to dupe items and generate practically infinite amounts of gold and legendary gear. It happened on Guild Wars 2, it happened to Neverwinter, now it's TESO's turn and once again, a certain vocal minority recomm... ahem, demands a server-wide rollback to day 1. Wipe everything. The exploit had since been fixed and the exploiters been perma-banned, but there's still a certain amount of paranoia and trolling going on. Some folks claim they have reported said exploit in the early betas and it had "never been fixed". The thing with such statements is that it's very difficult to prove whether they're true or not. Certain other people claim they got away with it and they're now sitting on millions of gold. Again, that's entirely possible and I have no idea how or how many of these people were banned in the first place.

That said, I just can't understand this whole "OMG some asshole is a millionaire in full legendary gear now, we need a global reset" mentality. Why? Is it fair that a small percentage of people cheated and allegedly got away with it? No. Does it affect my personal gameplay experience in any way? Not really. So these guys have millions of gold to... do what, exactly? Buy a horse, repair their gear after a fight and use the teleport feature? Wow, they must be so happy. I've been saving all my high level crafting materials and upgrades for when I hit the maximum veteran level, then I'll craft myself a nice legendary set of gear and that's that. All done. Then we all gotta wait for them to raise the level cap, introduce even more powerful gear, better crafting materials and start all over again. Legit players and exploiters alike.

There are no leaderboards where people compete over the highest "gear score" or anything. Yes, there are pvp-leaderboards, but we're talking zergs of 200something people beating the crap out of each other, so a single millionaire with a couple slightly more powerful items won't make much of a difference. And there's no auction house, either, so those cheaters would be limited to buying whatever useless green crap is offered by the trade guilds out there or they'll have to offer their legendary stuff via chat spam, to pile up even more useless gold. Have fun!

Oh well. PvP is still fun. I chased after a guy. He kept running and fired arrows at me like a coward, so I ate him. It was immensely satsifying:

The taste of victory.
What's significantly less satisfying, is TESO's lack of a real fullscreen mode, meaning no SLI, Crossfire or Shadowplay. Which is a shame, because I'd love to share some amazing pvp impressions and all I can record at the moment is choppy, stuttering Fraps garbage. Still, it's a start.


Also, Hugo. On a leash. Made friends with a rastaman who stopped his car, rolled down his window, asked all sorts of questions about him and wanted to pet him. He was really thrilled. Gave me the thumbs up. Pitch black face full of shiny white teeth. What a cool guy!
I've also made a new enemy. Some six year old kid told me to fuck off because he hated lizards. He'll probably grow up to be just like me someday. Though without a pet lizard, apparently.

I'd share some footage of all the cool shit that happened when we had him out, but seeing as a pack of expensive brand name batteries only lasts for about a minute or two with our new camera... well, enjoy a few seconds of lizard on a leash, I suppose.


-Cat

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen