Freitag, 4. Januar 2013

Back to hell with Coke and hobbits

Ahh yes, The Hobbit. Finally! My grandmother gave the book to me when I was about 15 years old. In German. Der kleine Hobbit - "The little Hobbit". Didn't sound like much. And hey, a granny book? I didn't even wanna read it! But when I did... holy fuck! Ass-kicking dwarves, dragons, mithril chain mail? It was just like some of my favourite computer games! And my grandmother was into that?

Not gonna bore you with details about the actual film - if you care about it one bit, you've already watched it or at least read everyone's opinion about it and I have nothing new to say. Just two small things: Too much CGI of the whole group falling into random pits. And no blood. At all. Severed heads and limbs, but no gushing blood, no bloody weapons and armor... what gives?

Of course I'm nitpicking here. Having a bit of a retarded day. Started with me drinking half a bottle of water before the film. And one of their XXL coke cups during the first 30 minutes. The thing's what, 3 hours long? I NEVER HAD TO PISS SO BADLY IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!
So stupid of me. After the first 30 or so minutes, I couldn't stop thinking about how badly I wanted the film to be over. And when it was... dude! Holy fuck!


It just didn't stop. It was comical. Cartoony. Naked Gun! I had three people coming in while I was there, starting, finishing, washing their hands and leaving and I still wasn't done. You probably didn't care to know that. I could have got up in the middle of the film, but I probably would have missed half of it.

Ah well, nice movie, I survived the soda and now it's weekend gaming time. And we're back on Diablo III, one of the most disappointing games I have touched all last year. Getting my ass to the level cap was moderately fun, but too quick and easy, then there was the ridiculously tough, near-unplayable Inferno mode, which forced people to farm gear with shitloads of resistances and switch to the most defensive play styles available with pretty much every class. And very little else. No sense of progression, no motivation, no fun. Sure, decent game and all, but... come on. It's supposed to be fucking Diablo!

Then I read something about the 100 new "Paragon Levels". So technically, one could now get to level 160 rather than just 60. I didn't like that a lot. So in order to beat the stupidly difficult inferno mode, people were now supposed to just outlevel it? Where's the fun and the challenge in that?
But what do you know - they've also added 10 difficulty settings to adjust monster strength, allowing people to make things a bit more or less challenging, depending on personal taste and play style. Better drops on tougher difficulty settings, faster leveling and all that. Doable Inferno mode on lower monster strength settings. Me gusta.

I just switched back from full defense to the setup I used to beat the first three modes and it's actually playable now. And fun, from what I have seen. There might still be the odd pack of asshole champions about, but if all else fails, I can just crank up monster strength on a hell session for a few hours, farm a few Paragon levels and go back to Inferno. Not the manliest way to do things, but definitely an option. Instead of "too easy" and "too hard" with nothing fun to do, I can now fine-tune game difficulty to my liking and level up a bit. Not sure if that's gonna entertain me for long, but we'll see. It sounds fun. :)

And if I still can't get myself to love this game again, there's always Ragnarok Tactics on the PSP. Tactics makes poor use of the Franchise's visuals (and very little else), but it's a fun game of its own rights and since Ragnarok had been my first ever MMO (aside from a few moments of UO and Everquest), it was rather easy to bait me with the stomach-turningly cute style. Could have done without so much male nudity, though. Ah well.


I feel very little desire to "upgrade" to a PSVita. All my favourite homebrew and emulator stuff works on the ol' PSP and without a regular dayjob or the annoying train and bus trips, which reaching said dayjob usually incorporates, there is very little need for modern handheld devices of any sort. In fact, even my regular PSP is usually hooked up to the PC, allowing me to use my gamepad and the big screen to enjoy my "mobile" gaming sessions.

-Cat

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen