Samstag, 8. Dezember 2012

Why sue Syrius?

Ahh yes. Black Ops 2. Still. Or CoDBlops. Sounds like fish-based cereal. Apparently, they're going to nerf this:


Yes I know, I get killed by the last guy, but come on. Still pretty neat, no?
And since doing this kinda stuff doesn't really require any effort, they're nerfing it now. Patch 1.4 has hit on PS3 and it adds more spread and recoil to SMGs. I haven't noticed anything on the PC version so far, so maybe the nerf was very subtle or it hasn't gone live on there, yet.

Oh well. Big nerf, small nerf, yes nerf, no nerf - I'm not a fan of doing what everybody else does, so I switched from SMGs to LMGs and I'm paying the price right now. My scores are absolutely abysmal half of the time. It's gonna take some adjusting and I might not stick with it in the long run, but I do love that whole Rambo look and feel. The sound. Shooting a guy through a solid brick wall from a mile away. Downing an enemy chopper without reloading. We'll see.

At least the Bear is improving. Scores are getting better and better, we're seeing the occasional multikills and scorestreaks and watching somebody grow from a total noob to a talented gamer always warms my heart. Reminds me of myself when the whole Counter-Strike hype first came up. Or Action Quake, a bit before that. To think that most people turned around using their keyboards back then... shit! Heh!

Now I get to watch the same process, the growth, the learning curve, all over again. Strafe when you shoot, don't stand still when you reload, stop sprinting when you approach a corner, keep an eye out for red dots, yada, yada, yada. It's a small handful of basic tricks, the rest is about awareness, good aim and quick reflexes. Shoot first. Han Solo vs Greedo all over again. I like watching the Blocky Cow's more successful matches in theatre mode, have a look at the play style and what have you. Sometimes I wanna yell at the screen, "He's right there, for fuck's sake!" when CowBearBlock seems completely oblivious to their presence. When shots constantly go straight for the legs, not the head. When the magazine is down to 10 bullets and there's no reload. Or when I see a reload after literally two shots, right in plain sight. We've all been through this at some point. I remember going through the same stages with my brother when he was new to CS and online gaming. Little did I know he'd become a professional gamer and compete for massive amounts of prize money. I've watched him play live on tv. Crazy shit.

And everyone at LPSG, our little "clan" of sorts, is making progress, as well. While I was having the worst night I ever had on BO2, Syrius, our usual bottom feeder, ended up scoring some impressive kill streaks and got "knighted". Basically, that's what happens when people accuse you of cheating. So yeah, the guy ended with well over 20 kills, had about five deaths and the first idiot shouted "OMG HAX!1". You know what it's like. Which is funny, because that kinda shit usually requires at least 30 kills, but there ya have it.
Watching killcams and replays, I have seen very few suspicious players, one, maybe two of which convinced me they were using an aimbot. You know, crosshairs instantly jumping from one target to another after each kill, zero "sway", crosshairs following people through walls and solid objects, the kinda painfully obvious crap that made Modern Warfare 3 so much fun.

Strangely enough, I don't even see any of the more subtle crap on BO2. Endless sprint, endless ammo, infinite killstreak rewards and the like. It's just not there. There are some people, who always magically seem to be able to sense my presence even without the legit little tools and helpers that let you detect enemy players. Might be luck, lots of great guesswork or simple wallhacking. That's terribly annoying. But that's about as bad as it gets. I had nights on MW3 where a guy would appear on a rooftop, one-shot everbody on the map, right in the head, through walls and everything, and spam a message with every kill. I have yet to see that kinda shit on BO2.

I'm not sure why that is. The new report button to rat out cheaters? Damn thing makes me paranoid. I get accused of "hacking" a dozen times each day, so what's gonna happen when enough morons report me? Is it because the crazy Russians, who invent all this shit, suddenly charge people a massive amount of money PER MONTH to use those bots and hacks? I'm not sure what's going on here, but I like it.

The one thing that does bother me, of course, is the constant whining about cheaters. People with 3 kills and 20 deaths accusing everything and everyone around them of cheating. I stand at the top of a stairway, guy throws flashbang up the stairs, I blindly shoot down the stairs and kill flashbang guy. "Fucking aimbot!"
You stupid shitdick. We're on a set of fucking stairs. I was looking at you when you blinded me. There is no way in hell I could possibly assume you're behind me or next to me or god knows where. You're right the fuck in front of me, on some stairs, so I shoot and - holy fuck - I end up killing you. Logical conclusion: I'm cheating.

Moron is camping in the corner of a house. Just sits in that one corner and waits. A whole five minutes. I enter the building, camper sees me, camper shoots me. Stays in his corner. I respawn. I walk back to the house. I move to the moron's corner from OUTSIDE the house, shoot him through the wall. "Wallhack! Reported!" Yes. You spend the duration of the entire match in the same fucking spot, the kill cam shows your victim your exact location, so there is absolutely no way in hell I could have known where you were hiding. Unless I was cheating.

People are predictable, stupid and highly resistant to learning. I place a mine in a corridor, guy walks into it, dies. I place another mine in the same corridor, same guy walks into it again and dies some more. I place yet another mine, guy watches the corridor, sees no mine, starts running through and gets blown up by the mine I placed around the corner, at the end of the corridor. And he calls me a noob. An intelligent player would:
a) Switch classes and use Flak Jacket to survive the explosions
b) Switch to Engineer and see all my mines from miles way. Through walls.
c) Switch to Black Hat, hack my mines and kill me with them
d) JUST AVOID THE FUCKING CORRIDOR FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

But I'm the noob. When I kill people with pistols, I'm a pistol noob. "OMFG l2use a real gun!11". I kill people with an SMG. "Noob sprayer!" So I kill them with an LMG, from a distance, using my scope. "Noob camper!" Conclusion: When you kill somebody on Call of Duty, your instrument of choice automatically makes you a noob. If you kill people a LOT, it makes you a hacker. If you stop killing them, it makes you an even bigger noob. My absolute favourite insult is so incredibly stupid and hysterically funny, I couldn't possibly make it up: "OMG get skill!" I've seen that one at the end of matches since Modern Warfare and it's still around today. Priceless!

People have a very distorted image of themselves and their abilities. It cannot possibly be that the other guy just beat you because he was better, he reacted faster, he outsmarted you. If the other guy wins, something must be wrong. The game generated over a billion (!) bucks 15 days after release, there are more active players around than I dare count, so why the FUCK is it so hard for people to believe there's a pretty decent chance they might run into somebody who is actually a little better at this game than they are, if only for one match?

Oh well. Still a good day. Female monster belching and ISS DEIN SCHNITZEL!! on Teamspeak. We had fun.

-Cat

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen