Sonntag, 8. Januar 2012

Raid Finder - My 2 Cents

I like bragging about how I was part of 'the good old days', where we raided Molten Core with 40 people and we didn't actually spend hours memorizing every single boss strategy with the help of fan sites and youtube. In fact, back when we got started on MC, it was actually quite difficult, if not impossible, to get extensive raid guides.
I've been there. When it took for fucking ever, because people weren't fully T2-geared and knew the place in their sleep. And I like to talk about it. Because it fucking sucked.

Truth to be told, it's also the only raid I've successfully finished while it was actual, proper endgame content. Unless you wanna count shit like Baradin Hold. I didn't raid in BC or Wrath. Stuff got toned down from 40 to 25 people, they even added 10 people modes later, you no longer needed a DKP system. I probably missed out. But that's when the Clairebear started playing, then the whole family was on WoW, we started our little guild and didn't want to invite any strangers - long story short, you don't raid with 5 people.

For the most part, it didn't really bother me. We're on a pvp server, we're doing okay in the arena and resilience made pve gear relatively useless on our realm. So from a pvp point of view, we had the best possible gear - granted, we didn't really get high enough to earn the stuff that required a rating of 2200, but with the progressive casualization, even a mediocre arena rating had eventually stopped being a problem.

The one thing that bothered me is how, as a pvp-fanatic, a loyal soldier of one's respective faction, you got excluded from the story, the cool boss battles and some of the cooler-looking armor sets. If you want to raid, it's usually a good idea to be part of a raid guild and you'll want to farm good pve gear. I'm too lazy for both. I like my crappy little guild and I don't like running boring heroic dungeons over and over again to get raid access. My own fault, I know, and therefore I stayed away from raids.

And now there's the Raid Finder. It's hard to disagree with the people, who say that Deathwing feels like a bit of a joke, thanks to this new feature. It really isn't the most pleasant new feature, either. Basically, I followed 24 random players, who kept on calling each other noobs, cunts and morons and one guy kept asking to kick everyone below 30k DPS - which at that time would have been roughly 23 people. And that horde of flaming, bitching, whining idiots zerged their way through Deathwing's minions, his generals, even killed the mythical dragon, the one big evil that would bring the end of the world, just like that, just by the way, constantly flaming, insulting and whining as they hacked and slashed everything to bits.

It was grotesque, to say the least. There was very little sense of heroism there, no unity, not even an awful lot of tactics, the occasional "STOP DPS ON SKULL YOU CUNTS!!1" aside. And what do you know - the whole thing worked out and I even got two matching set-pieces out of the whole thing. I know, low-level raid finder crap with no pvp stats, but I really just want the whole thing for transmogrifying, anyway.

The whole thing was probably easier than Heroic Grim Batol in a random group. And from what I've read on Facebook, forums and in some magazines, I'm not the only one who felt pretty much no sense of success or achievement after it was all over. That said, the Raid Finder actually made WoW a little more fun for me and my guild mates.

I cannot hold it against anybody, who is upset with this new feature. There was a time where people actually had to put some effort into obtaining their raid gear and it took MUCH more than one lazy afternoon to show off half the god damn raid set. Sure, the more ambitious guilds out there still get to do the *real* raid, they get the real raid set with slightly better stats and the toughest of cookies out there get their heroic modes and the best, toughest, most difficult to obtain weapons and armor for it. But they have every right and reason to feel cheated. Because now lazy people such as myself get to see how it ends, we get to faceroll through the final boss battles AND we get the same cool gear. With crappier stats, sure, but it looks just as awesome, different colour palette or not.

We're all legends now. Titans. Marauding, flaming, 12 year old kids, who save the world. At least once per week. Poor Deathwing! No final boss deserves such a shabby end.
But despite all criticism, despite that feeling of guilt that occasionally crawls up on me when I show off my T-13 welfare crap for mogging, the game has actually improved for me and my guild. Because to us, what's the alternative? Disbanding and joining a bigger guild or seeing the 'endgame' 3 years later, when every moron can do it?

I salute you, Deathwing. You'll be known as the most meaningless, unimpressive final boss baddie in MMO history, a joke next the the likes of Arthas, Nefarian and maybe even Hogger. I don't believe you deserve such harsh treatment, just as I don't believe Cataclysm deserves all the hate it's getting. But for what it counts, I actually had a chance to see how it all ends, along with everybody else. And I get to look cool in my welfare Dragonplate. And that has to count for something, for as stale as the taste of this victory might have been. This one stubborn Berserkerkitten loves you, even though they forced a pussy mode upon you. ♥

-Cat

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen