Samstag, 20. Februar 2016

Emulating ALL THE THINGS on my 3DS


Roughly two weeks ago I decided to trade what little I had left of my spare time and some semblance of a life for the 3DS version of Terraria. Stupid thing is so complete, it's got summoning, seasonal, lunar and solar events, all of the bosses up to and including the golem, as well as special portable boss Ocram... look, let's just say there's a shitload of stuff to do on there and many meals and many hours of sleep have been missed.

But finally, after way too many hours of play time on there, I had managed to get my hands on all the gear I ever wanted, I crafted my own mushroom biome for that stupid truffle NPC and I was just about ready to get bored of Terraria. That's when Claire shut down her 3DS in the middle of a multiplayer session she was hosting. At the exact same second where I tried to save my character. And the character got corrupted, was wiped out and never seen again. His progress, gear, piggy bank, everything wiped out. Sure, I still had my worlds and whatever treasures I stored there, but all of my most important stuff, as well as my pixellated alter ego, were eradicated for good.

Never forget.
What followed was the most retarded uninterrupted 15 hour grinding session. Any other game I would have just quit and moved on. Instead, I farmed heart crystals, chlorophyte ore, beat bosses more or less naked until I could forge some semi-decent gear until finally we went to fight Duke Fishron a hundred trillion times so I could get a new Tempest Staff. If you don't know wtf I'm talking about, let's just say I wanted the ability to summon sharknados and yes, that's totally a thing in Terraria.

Problem is, there's currently a bug in the 3DS version what prevents players from reforging the sharknado staff. So you'll have to take whatever stats and modifiers the game hands to you and put up with it. Now, the reasonable thing is to file a bug report, wait for a hotfix and reforge your shit then. Or you could do what I did, look into 3DS homebrew apps, install an inventory editor for Terraria and change the modifier on your weapon to the one you want by hand. Which is what I did. And while I was already there, I noticed how thanks to homebrew applications my 3DS could suddenly emulate just about every old console, ever. And Doom was suddenly installed on there, too.

Shining Motherfucking Force CD on my 3DS!
Sooo... not only am I back to where I was on Terraria, but now I also get to play all the Gameboy (advance, colour, barbecue, what the fuck ever), Game Gear, Master System, Megadrive, Mega CD, SNES, NES, C64, ZX Spectrum and PC-Engine/TG16 games I could eat in a lifetime all on the go whenever I fucking want.

Most people didn't like Golden Axe 3 much, but most people are pretty stupid.
I'm playing fucking Ninja Warriors Again on the SNES emulator with zero stutter, graphical glitches or audio problems. It's so close to the original cartridge, the only difference I can tell is a bunch of scantily-clad chicks I get to fight in the Japanese rom, which were removed in the EU version, because Nintendo and tits... well, you know.
Damn, I gotta get Primal Rage, Killer Instinct and Turtles in Time!

Alien Crush is one of the greatest pinball games ever made.
And yeah, I know, many great classics like Streets of Rage, Sonic and even abysmal garbage like Sonic Drift 2 are already available on the Nintendo eStore with added 3D and what have you. I just don't believe that many of these games are worth the 3-5 Quid Nintendo want you to pay for them. And why is there Sonic 2 but no Sonic 3 (& Knuckles)? Why are they selling the Game Gear version of Shining Force but not the Megadrive one or the Gameboy Advance remake? Why sell Streets of Rage but no Golden Axe?

We've bought some of these games on there, because come on - Streets of Rage 2 with wireless multiplayer? That's a total nobrainer! But you'd have to literally shell out hundreds in order to buy all the good virtual console titles on there and you'd still be missing large amounts of stuff. Why are PC-Engine/TG16 titles only offered in the Japanese eShop? I want my Cyber Core, Dragon Spirit and Tiger Heli, dammit!

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap is a true GG/Master System gem.
So unless they decide to adjust the pricing for these ancient games to reasonable levels and fill some of the major holes in their online library, I'm gonna emulate the shit out of shit.
Oh hey, speaking of shit that's too expensive - those overpriced themes with sounds, music and wallpapers for your 3DS home menu? I can make my own now. I'd share a screenshot, but I'm not sure Blogger allows explicit content of that nature.

UPDATE: Got the NeoGeo to work. Portable Garou - Mark of the Wolves, here we go!

It's better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen