Montag, 10. Juni 2013

Oh hey, Monday!

It's Monday, all my friends are at work and I'm just sitting here procrasturbating. Meanwhile, booking face has been interrupted by a bit of a low blow:

We've been studying your profile and think this is relevant to you.
Facebook suggested I like Hitler the other day, now it's offering me to like Satan himself. I gotta start clearing my browser history more often.

My Dark Souls New Game + is calling my name and I want to play so hard! I have just started getting into this:

Stereo. Fucking. Greatswords.
I am only beginning to understand the real depth of this game's combat system, which is actually rather basic and straightforward on the surface. You put an item in your main hand. Swing it with one hand, two-hand it, totally up to you. And if you feel like it, put one in your left. Classic sword & board come to mind. Or a sword and a parry dagger. Or dual daggers if you want to be taught how MMO-style rogues make absolutely no fucking sense. I have seen youtubers beating the game dual-wielding shields. What the fuck, indeed.

Offhand-weapons don't magically double your attack power. A rapier may make it easier to parry and counter an attack, a greatsword may be swung and double as a crappy shield and an actual shield protects you, for as long as you actually remember to lift that fucker and aim it at whatever bad stuff is coming your way. Some folks block with one shield and bash with the other, just for challenge's sake and to prove it can be done.
All weapons come with different amounts of range, damage, speed and even their own set of moves and attacks. Over the course of the game you get to enhance your items, beef up that broadsword to "+15" or add a bit of fire or lightning damage to it, cool visual effect and everything. Naturally, some combinations make more sense than others, some are infinitely more difficult to play, but at the end of the day, every weapon and every fighting style is valid if you can learn to pull it off. I have seen people beating every single boss naked, swinging nothing but a nailed club. Which must have taken greater amounts of practice than I dare imagine, but I like that it can be done if you're really fucking good.

Meanwhile, Claire is running around on there like this:


Fucking dragonslayer armor. It's silver by default, but it's very easy to override textures in this game, so... yay. Now, if she could finally finish that first playthrough of hers, so we can finally play our NG+ in jolly cooperation, I would be so happy!

Teaming up isn't the only reason I want another playthrough. It turns out that the entire plot and the way I've interpreted it, is a lie. When I finally realized how much I've been manipulated and lied to, I felt like an American watching the Eurovision Songcontest.


Without getting too much into detail, let's just say I had no idea what was happening, because I'm too used to all the hand-holding and obvious decisions in most RPGs today. Some goddess tells me I'm the chosen one, I have to defeat some guy, light a fire, allow the world to continue as it is, yada, yada, yada. Heard it a thousand times, let's be nice to these important NPCs, impress them with my badassery, finish my epic quest, end of story. Turns out the goddess is an illusion, that whole prophecy stuff is a load of crap and not only does "saving the world" mean sacrificing yourself, but it also ensures that mankind will continue to be enslaved for many happy years to come until some other "chosen one" puts you out of your misery and replaces you the way you did with the final boss.

It's depressing, as there are no happy endings in Dark Souls. Not for you or any of the characters you meet along the way. They all go insane and/or die in some messy, dramatic way. What's nice, though, is how there is no good, benevolent god or a good king or some other pure white character, who tells you to slay some pure black bad guy and that's that. But I fully believed that's how the plot worked until I was done. I didn't question what's going on, I just did as I was told and... well, shit.

In other news, Hugo is growing. A lot. In case you don't remember, Hugo is this guy here:


We went outside with him last weekend and I'm still surprised by people's reactions. You see, he's a huge freakin' lizard. And lots of people are afraid of reptiles. Or so you would think, judging by how many people want them banned as pets, how lots of people consider them dangerous and slimy and venomous and deadly and all that sort of thing.
So we walked around town with him and people would stick their heads out of their cars as they drove by, people would stare and you could see that many of them weren't really sure how to react. It's a mindset thing around here. People don't point, they don't approach you and say, hey, that's one bigass lizard.

Well, kids do. And that's what amazed me the most. Some grandpa was taking the kids for a walk. Rugrats, no older than five, if that. Kids always ask questions, they always want to pet him, they never seem afraid at all. Interestingly enough, even the oldtimer wasn't at all put off by Hugo. Some people are a bit scared at first, but their curiosity usually wins and they all end up touching him and asking questions. I really like that. I won't lie to you - of course my inner attention whore is getting off to that kind of stuff. Nobody gives a shit when you bring a dog, but everybody wants to check out that giant reptile. But it also makes me happy to see how open-minded people can be. I believe that much of the reptile hate around here, and how some people want to see them banned, is born out of ignorance. I bet you all know that guy who knows another guy who owns a huge snake and one day he woke up and the snake was suddenly in his bed, next to him, getting ready to eat him. People actually believe that kinda crap. They believe a lot of stuff about reptiles, because believing is all you can do if you don't know.



If I had to choose, I'd rather be bitten by an angry ball python than an angry pitbull. And at the end of a day, most intelligent pets are only as good or as bad as you raise them. They can be a mirror of your personality and asshole pet owners usually have asshole pets. So maybe, instead of banning certain kinds of pets altogether, make it more difficult for people who don't really care to get a pet, any pet, in the first place.

-Cat

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen